1) It is officially the sunniest place in the UK (not that you'd know that right now)
2) It has the most expensive stretch of water in the UK (if not Europe or the world)
3) Its one of the few places left where red squirrels still survive
4) It was the last place in Britain to be converted to Christianity
5) Its the most haunted island in Britain, possibly the world
Famous annual events (there are more than this, but wanted to give an outline):
The Isle of Wight rock festival
Originally running during the late 60's, early 70's, has now been reborn since 2002. Has hosted names such as: Jimi Hendrix, The Who, REM, Coldplay, Muse, Snow Patrol, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie.
Better described as a giant fancy dress party with live music than a festival. Mostly dance music, big enough to host The Beastie Boys, The Pet Shop Boys and the Scissor Sisters among others.
A world-famous sailing event, which always ends with a spectacular fireworks display.
And last but not least (I promise I'm not making this up): The Garlic Festival
A celebration of all things...well, garlic. Everything you buy at this has garlic involved in it somewhere, even the beer and Ice Cream